Sunday 23 December 2007

The Season for Getting Ready

'Tis the season--can you feel it in the air? Everyone is getting ready.....for winter (even when it has already arrived!), for the holidays, for the new guests to arrive, for the latest big snowfall predicted....It's been a busy time here on Gunflint Lake since we last met. The days are filled to the brim, and beyond it seems. It is good.

So where are we at on the list of Get Readys? Well, the cabins are mostly set for the winter season that started two days ago. I say mostly, because Greg is finishing some details in Spruce, as he winds up the remodeling of the bathroom. It looks grand! As soon as I have the go-ahead, I will take some photos of it. Once again, he's done a magnificent job. I'm always delighted to see his vision grow and become reality. From the start, he will describe to me what he intends to do, but since I can't see the same pictures in my head that he sees in his, it is still a surprise for me. He gathers inspiration and ideas from many sources, and sometimes I believe it starts as simply as the color of a piece of tile he has encountered. There remain a few more cabin bathrooms that will need his touch in the coming years, so stay tuned.

It seems like we've been getting ready for winter for a long time now. In reality, we've been ready on several fronts for a long time---the wood is stacked, the kindling is split, the propane tanks are full. We've got the heat covered. I have a tiny bit of winterizing yet to do at one cabin, but that will go fast. And we can now say that the trails are ready, too. Greg has been too involved in his project to assist yet, but thanks to the hard work of Gunflint Pines and Gunflint Lodge, the ski trails have been packed, groomed, and tracked. With the new snow in the air, it will only get better.

Ready for Christmas? Well, considering that it is December 23rd, I'd say that we are about on schedule. This is the day that we go out to cut trees, with dear friends who are staying with us. It has become a most excellent tradition, and sometimes we mix in a bit of sledding with the search. We have even sledded down the big hill, holding our trees aloft. Once home, we all get busy with the task of decorating, so that by the time the big day arrives, the trims are in place and all is festive. We still have cookies to bake, but if those get done too soon, they all get eaten--as was the case with the first batch.

Now, the snowstorm that is predicted....The times each winter that I recapture that feeling of excitement and anticipation of a childhood Christmas are most strongly represented in the weather. Specifically, when the weather forecast is for a blizzard (or such) to arrive in the night, I go to bed with eager anticipation of morning. I love to get up and go right to the window to see if it really did materialize. Today was a bit of a disappointment, but the situation is improving. We got a bit of snow overnight, but not enough to send the Plow Guy out. It was snowing by the time full daylight arrived, and continues to do so. All of our guests are here, so I say it can snow for the next four days, steady. I doubt I'll be that lucky, but I'll settle for several inches. For some reason, I don't think that I can negotiate this one. Here again, I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Addie had a conversation with Robert yesterday. He arrived safely in Eagle, Alaska, to spend the holidays with friends. I had sent out two Christmas boxes to him a week or so ago. One I mailed to his home in Fairbanks, and the other to the post office in Eagle. After he got in to town, he and his friend Amanda harnessed up her dogs and dog-sledded to the post office to retrieve it. How's that for holiday package delivery?! He was eager to open it, not for the presents, but rather for the cookies inside. That's where most of the first batch went to.

The next few days will be just as busy as the last few. After all of the Christmas celebrations, we will be starting on our activities for New Year's. The menu this year will feature foods of the Eastern Mediterranean, and I just got two orders of exotic spices in the mail. We'll be smelling and tasting some unusual foodstuffs. The kids have been practicing some music for New Year's Eve, so we'll be sounding good. There will be lots of hugs going around. And of course, the beauty of the Northwoods at Christmas is always a feast for the eyes.

Merry Christmas to everyone--I hope that all of your wishes come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment