Wednesday 14 January 2009

Staying Warm

Whenever we hear from friends in Alaska that it is extremely cold in Eagle or Fairbanks, we know that in a few days to a week, we, too, will be in the deep freeze. Robert was telling us about reports he'd heard that it was forty, and fifty, and sixty below zero in places that he has traveled to. For the record, he is still home with us right now, so he is not actually experiencing this firsthand. But he knows folks who are, and in his last two winters in Fairbanks, he saw the thermometer in places he hadn't seen it go before.

The weather forecast this week predicted the cold to arrive on Tuesday. Because our vehicles don't like to run in the those low temperatures, I decided to take a run to town on Monday to do some errands and replenish our pantry. We'd been enjoying leftovers from our New Year's feast for several days, but fresh vegetables were becoming a rare sight. While in town, I ran into a few people who would ask if I was there stocking up before the big chill. They were doing the same.

We loaded the wood rack, stoked the fire, and prepared for the cold. Yesterday morning, it was minus 26 when I looked at the thermometer. Today, I saw minus 31. I find it rather exciting to see how low it will go. During the day, we have warmed into the minus teens, and it really isn't too bad outside, as we don't have the strong winds that other areas are seeing. I was out to check on the cabins, and with only a few frozen spots, it will be easy enough to thaw them before the cabins are needed next. We're knocking on wood that it has not been too rough on our buildings yet. Having lots of snow helps, as the cabins have been banked with all that white stuff to insulate the foundations.

Banking cabins has always been a chore in these parts, I'm told. I recall seeing photos of trapper's shacks in Alaska, seemingly buried in snow and drifts. I used to think that happened naturally, and to some extent, it probably does. But around here, we go out and shovel the snow up against the logs, as it doesn't fall right next to the building where it is needed. After our big snowfall in early December, Addie and I tackled the task. Out and about we were with our shovels, digging into the fluff and hefting it to the cabins. I even took a photo of her, as I wanted to send it to Paul. He was still at school, and we were missing him dearly. It helps to have as many hands and shovels as possible when doing this job. The next day Paul called us, and I asked if they got the same snowstorm in Morris as the one we had. He reported that they had, and also that he had gone out that day to bank the rental house he lives in. I got a good chuckle out of that one....his is probably the only house in the town that is banked with snow! But I guess he realized that since he is paying his share of the heating bills now, it's a good idea to make use of what you've been given.

Robert's friends from Fairbanks called last night, and told him that it is now above zero there. And sure enough, our forecast is for a warm-up starting Saturday. I like that Alaska connection--just another piece of the weather puzzle here in the Northwoods.

No comments:

Post a Comment