Wednesday 19 May 2010

Hit the Road, Jack


With the trek to Morris fresh under my belt, Addie and I are ready to hop back into the car for another short road trip. She needs to register for fall classes, so today we are headed to the lovely state of Wisconsin.

This is such a treat for me, to be able to travel in the summertime. I get to see all of the spring colors, and in particular the Green of everything! April, our usual travel month, is generally not very green for sightseeing. This year, of course, was an incredible exception with our trip to Hawaii. But for the most part, I haven't been on a summer road trip for nearly thirty years. That makes even the smallest parts exciting for me.

During my college years, I would experience three separate blooms of lilacs. In mid-May, they came out in southern Minnesota, right around the end of the semester. Then as I was headed home at the end of May, they were blooming in the Twin Cities. Once I got to Duluth, the lilacs would come out about a week later. It is full-bloom time in Morris right now. I had a moment when I could bury my nose in a large and beautiful lilac bush, loaded with flowers. I had to take a picture of it.

Now that I live in the far north, my lilac bush blooms really late. Here is what it looks like right now, as compared to the ones in Morris. It definitely looks sparse, and I still don't see buds. Most years it produces at least a few purple flowers, and that is enough for the lovely scent to waft onto a breeze. It's enough to make me happy.

As we are driving southeast, it will be fun to see the progress of flowers and trees, and how things compare to home. I'll probably get to experience some other plant life cycle twice 'round, kind of a double pleasure, just like Doublemint Gum.

No comments:

Post a Comment