Thursday 8 July 2010

A Bit of Paint, A Dab of Varnish

Yet another remodeling project has managed to sneak its way into our summer. Addie and I recently gave the back bedroom in Tamarack cabin a bit of a face lift. Roughly seventeen years ago was the last time I had done anything in there. Back then, I learned about installing wallpaper, but I didn't do anything with the log walls. They were still coated in the original paint, and I thought that it wouldn't be good to change the integrity of that first paint job. In the years since, however, I realized that something needed to be done, history or not.



You can see by the following picture that it was a shade of yellow that covered the log walls. The exterior had sported the same color way back in time....back in the day, as they say. But over the years, it had changed to a dull and drab color. I needed to freshen it, since I am the one who sees it the most, thanks to cabin cleaning chores. I decided on a basic white. Since we were removing the furniture in order to paint, Addie and I decided that it was also the perfect time to sand the old finish off the original pine floor, and then coat it with some fresh polyurethane.



All went well for both the sanding and wall painting. We were able to fill some cracks that let the daylight through. I added spray foam insulation to strategic locations. We got to see a wonderful floor emerge, complete with distress marks. And then we got to put the two coats of varnish on it, to really make it shine. Best of all, it only took a little over a week.

This remodeling stuff is a little addicting! Good thing I have so many locations in which to work....The list continues on, and I bet Greg is grateful that he doesn't have to do it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment