Monday 26 July 2010

The Lure of the Berries

Yes, it's yet another blueberry post....It is so interesting living with people who are totally and truly addicted to berry picking. It's funny to listen to their conversations:

"Where did you find those big berries?"

"I can't say. It was so-and-so's favorite spot that he/she shared with me."

"Do you duck when you are out there picking near the road?"

"Heck, yeah! I don't want people to see me! And I was wearing my camouflage clothing, too."

"I heard two people honk, but I didn't park my car where I was picking."

Everyone has their ways of picking not only the berries, but also their secret spots where "the best" berries grow. Funny thing is, sometimes the people discover that the folks they are talking to also pick in the same location, but at different times. They just keep missing each other.

The truth of the matter is that, almost anywhere you go right now, the berries are so fantastic that there are more than enough for everyone, critters included. It just depends on how far you want to walk, and how many berries you ultimately want to come away with.

Which brings us to another side of the coin, making room in the freezer. When the crop is so bountiful and the desire to pick so strong, the tendency is to just go and go and go. Each time the bucket comes back, it is totally full. What a beautiful sight! But what happens when we run out of freezer storage space? Used to be, we would make jam, but no one seems to eat that around here anymore. Pie and crisp are the two most requested blueberry treats. Berries stored in the freezer mean that one can enjoy the delights of summer all winter long. To these pickers, you can never have too many berries. I guess it may be something like what the ardent fishermen feel. As long as there is a lake with fish out there, or a patch full of ripe berries, you have to go harvest them! The big ones are all getting away, right now, even as I type.

How wonderful to have a year like this, when the crop is in its prime, plump and plentiful. Though I may have to sacrifice freezer space now (as in, I might be cooking a turkey this week, in order to make more room), that pie will taste extra special when it is 20 below zero.

No comments:

Post a Comment