Friday 26 September 2008

More Elitism


I noticed just a day or two ago that this week�s Newsweek has a column by Sam Harris that follows a similar logic to my �Elitist� article the other day. The title is �When Atheists Attack,� which is a sort of poor title choice because it doesn�t reflect too well the content of the article. The sub-title is better: �A noted provocateur rips Sarah Palin�and defends elitism.�
Hmm, sounds a little like a description of an article I wrote just last week, right?
Actually, no. I�m definitely not �noted,� even in the most generous application of the word.
In any case, the article is actually quite good, and I�d recommend you take a look at it. Here my favorite lines:

�What is so unnerving about the candidacy of Sarah Palin is the degree to which she represents�and her supporters celebrate�the joyful marriage of confidence and ignorance.�
AND
�When it comes to choosing the people whose thoughts and actions will decide the fates of millions, then we suddenly want someone just like us, someone fit to have a beer with, someone down-to-earth�in fact, almost anyone, provided that he or she doesn�t seem to intelligent or well educated.�

At least I�m not the only one out there thinking along these lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment