Wednesday 16 May 2007

Home Again to Gunflint Lake

We're home, and it's beautiful.

It was about five o'clock that I pulled in. The drive up the trail was a quiet one. The roadblocks were lifted at noon, so I think that most people had already arrived at their homes and cabins. I noticed that the trees had really leafed out in my absence, and everything was looking pretty much like I remembered when I left almost a week ago.

Then I neared Iron Lake, and saw the area where the fire crossed the Gunflint Trail. Yes, it was black, and yes, I did see trees standing that were totally burned. It reminded me of burned out areas that I have seen on trips out west, where many more forest fires occur each year. It was my first chance to see the remains of the Ham Lake Fire, and it was up close.

When I got home, and looked across the lake, that was personal. I can see that a forest fire went through. But I can also see pockets of trees. This must be what they mean when they say that the fire burned in a mosaic pattern. I imagine from the sky that it is a lot more evident. Since it was late afternoon, the sun wasn't shining directly on the north shore. So tomorrow will bring another view of it.

As I mentioned before, I have lots to say about all of this. Now that we are back home, I will have better access to the computer, and I hope to begin to tell the story of what happened, and also to share the changes that I know we will be seeing in the days to come. I'll do my best to describe just what is happening, and when I can, I will share photos.

Once again, I cannot even begin to say thank you in an adequate way to each and everyone of you for all of your support throughout this time. I will begin to answer emails tomorrow, as well as tell the stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment