Sunday 27 May 2007

Teenage Moose


Springtime is often when I get to see what I call teen-age moose. These are the young ones who have just been sent off to be on their own. They are sleek, muscled, and they have long lanky legs. That is one reason that they remind me of teenagers. The other reason is that when I encounter them on the road, much like new young drivers, they don't always know what to do! If it is night-time, they seem to get confused and veer around on the road in front of me. I always stop when I encounter a moose on the road, and I find it helps if I turn my lights down to low beam, or even to parking lights for a moment. This seems to help the moose get its bearings and then figure out how to get off the roadway. Then I can turn my lights back up and continue on my way. Last Wednesday morning, we were headed down the trail towards town, and spotted these two teens in the road. Fortunately, we had the camera ready, and Robert snapped this photo before they headed in to the woods.
On the way home, I spotted a small bear on the edge of the Mayhew swamp. He, too, looked like a young one that had been bumped from the homestead, to make way for the new little cubs. It has been a while since I saw a bear in the woods, doing what bears should do. It was a good thing to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment