Tuesday 15 May 2007

Suposed to Be the Monday Update

Good Morning!

This was supposed to post last night, but I couldn't get it to work. Here I am trying again....


For a few minutes there, I was afraid that I wouldn't get to post! My fingers are very at home with a needle, be it sewing, knitting, whatever. But put me on a laptop and I am all thumbs!

I apologize for posting so late, but it ended up to be a very busy day. We moved to the campground in town, late this afternoon. Our new home away from home, and soon to be office, too. The cell phone is charging, and I hope that tomorrow we will once again be accessible by phone. I will be having our phone calls forwarded to the cell phone, and you may not get me right away, but please leave me a message. My two teenagers will help me retrieve the messages and I will call you back. As soon as I am comfortable enough with the phone, I will be better at answering it! I know all this sounds quite lame for these modern times, but you all know me--I'd much rather be baking pizza and bread in the wood fired oven then learning these new skills! At any rate, it seems that someone found a way for me to come up to speed and join the real world, so here I am. And I'm not even kicking and screaming.

The fire guys had a good day today. They were able to work some more on containment lines, though I didn't hear a new percentage figure. The fire did grow in Canada, so the new size is now 74,800 acres. We got some rain last night, and that helped to cool areas off, which in turn makes it easier to work in the fire area. The fire has burned some areas in a mosaic pattern, so that means that patches of green do remain.

Our neighbor Bob Baker Sr. had to go up to the lake, and he reported other that when driving down the South Gunflint Lake Road, you would not know that there was a fire. It is still green as ever. Imagining that is such a relief.

The latest word is that it will still be several days before we are able to get back in to the area. Naturally, this is a disappointment for many. But we trust that they are making the right decisions and we dig deeper into the well of patience for what lies ahead.

I'm sorry that this is a short post tonight, but I will make up for it soon--perhaps even tomorrow. Paul and Addie have their assignments for the day all lined up, and I will be trying to catch up on my work---not quite "business as usual" but closer than it has been in many days.
Postscript: I am using WiFi at the Gunflint Tavern, and whatever they are cooking, it sure smells good! And I'm not even hungry!

No comments:

Post a Comment