Sunday 5 October 2008

"La Seguridad" Is Priority "N�mero Uno"

As I�m sure I�ve mentioned a few times, I work as a teacher at a call center inside a �Free Trade Zone.� Basically, these Zones have �restricted access,� and they are guarded at the entrances and usually have perimeter walls with razor wire around the entire complex.
Inside the Zone I work in, it�s almost like a little city, and in that city there are businesses, cafeterias, banks with ATMs, and any other amenities you could ask for in order to live a full, productive life� except houses, that is. Still, it�s basically like Raccoon City from �Resident Evil,� except it�s not underground, and the guards here are much more apathetic.
In any case, the company I work for has a few ATMs located directly inside the building, to make withdrawing cash easy and safe for employees. The other day, I was going back to my desk after getting a mug of coffee, and I walked past some guys restocking the ATM machine. I thought I�d walked right into the middle of a joke already in progress. Here�s how it goes:

Q: How many Costa Ricans does it take to restock an ATM machine?

A: Four.
1 - A guard employed by the bank, to put money in the machine.
2 � Another guard employed by the bank, to lean on the wall with his hand resting on his gun, watching the first guy.
3 � Another guard employed by the bank, to hold the video camera and film the first two guys as they restock the machine.
4 � A guard from my company, to stand in the background and watch the first three guys, making sure they don�t try anything funny.

And, I suppose, we could also count the many employees who stopped to watch the scene unfold.
Aah, Costa Rica.
Hey, you know, I heard in some countries they have these things they call �checks,� and you can send them through a system called �postal service� to pay for bills.
Now that�s weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment