Wednesday 16 December 2009

The Luck of the Moment

Addie recently asked me why I hadn't been posting things to my blog or my twitter. I told her that it is because I haven't slowed down enough to have the words drift in to my mind. Even now, as I type a first draft of this, it is full of misspelled words and errors, a sign that I am still moving and thinking too fast. But fortunately, sometimes things propel me to take a moment to stop, and see what is happening around me.

So it was this morning...We've been closely watching the lake, waiting for it to freeze. The temps have certainly been in a range cold enough, with a low this morning of minus twelve. The wind has been our big foe, as it was blowing strong from the west, keeping the big waves rolling along. Any bits of shore ice were dashed to pieces. The result of that is a pleasant tinkling sound as the pieces rub up against each other. But what I really wanted to hear was the silence that first ice brings.

Today I got that. The lake appeared from my windows to be frozen at least halfway out from our shore. I bundled up and headed down to the landing. It is like a fairy tale world down there at this time of the year. The frost coats the branches and twigs with a flocking that Hollywood movie sets would envy. A large block of shelf ice covers the perimeter of our beach. And just beyond is the newly-formed lake ice, thickness unknown. It is covered in frost crystals, too, though barely a skim. If I were still a skater, I would be chomping at the bit. (I remember many nights of entertainment spent at the local rink when I was in elementary school. I also remember how my feet would ache in those first few days of lacing up the skates.)
It's a lovely world out there. And the bonus for me was that while I was snapping pictures and watching and listening, the Canadian wolf pack started to sing. I couldn't help but smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment