Friday 26 March 2010

Neptune





I don't think I have seen this boat before.  While looking around online however, I sooned learned why that is. The Neptune is the sole vessel in the Stonington fleet that fishes for Royal Red Shrimp. Travelling hundreds of miles offshore, she is often at sea for several days at a time. Built in 1967 by Blount Marine of Warren, Rhode Island, the vessel is 76 feet long.

I recently finished reading The Last Fish Tale by Mark Kurlansky, which takes a rather somber look at the commercial fishing industry in Gloucester. While Stonington is not Gloucester, or even Pt Judith, it does surprise me to discover that there is a local boat fishing for shrimp.

A few days after our recent nor'easter, I saw her lying quiet and still along the south pier of the Stonington docks. Her outriggers and nets all shrouded in fog. The one and only shrimp boat in Connecticut's last remaining commercial fishing fleet.



UCONN Seagrant: Royal Red Shrimp- Stonington's Secret

Soundbounder: Stonington Fishing Fleet

CT Coastal Access Guide: Stonington Town Docks

New York Times: Stonington Red Is Catching On

Map

No comments:

Post a Comment